Injuries in Naples Minimized through National Work Zone Safety

National Work Zone Awareness 2012 is kicking off the summer construction season, according to Laurie Sanderson, a spokesperson with the Florida Department of Transportation.

This campaign is so important to Florida transportation officials because in 2010, there were nearly 70 work zone fatalities and more than 6,000 similar injuries just in our state. During the campaign, officials will be targeting work zone safety and spreading the message to drivers as well — the message is about maintaining alert and safe driving habits in work zones across the state. With this campaign, officials hope to reduce the risks of work zone accidents in Naples and elsewhere.

“These zones demand slower speeds and increased awareness of people and equipment moving in the area,” said Sanderson reported.

Our Naples injury attorneys understand the risks that roadside workers face. All too often, motorists zoom through work sites with little to no regard for the workers within them. It’s important for drivers to slow down and abide by posted instructions to help keep everyone safe in these areas. The theme for this year’s campaign is “Don’t Barrel Through Work Zones! Drive Smart to Arrive Alive”.

The National Work Zone Awareness campaign started back in 2000, according to the Federal Highway Administration. This is the campaign’s 13th year on the books and it continues to grow and advance with each passing year.

With the Spring here, beautiful weather across the country is rolling out along with those orange barrels signifying work zones. During this time, motorists need to be extra careful behind the wheel in these areas to help keep our workers safe — the workers who are hard at work improving our street.

Nationwide, work zone accidents in 2010 killed nearly 600 people and injured nearly 40,000 more. Road work is a dangerous job and comes with some high risks. As a matter of fact, roughly 15 percent of work zone deaths occur to workers. The other 85 percent occur to passing motorists. You see, National Work Zone Safety Week isn’t just working to protect roadside workers, but it’s also working to protect the motorists who pass through these areas every day.

Luckily, these accidents are preventable.

Who is involved in National Work Zone Awareness Week 2012:

– American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA)

-Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)

-American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
-American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA)

-Federal Highway Administration
-National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Tips to Help You Stay Safe Driving through Work Zones:

-Expect the unexpected.

-Slow it down.

-Avoid tailgating.

-Stay away from workers and work equipment.

-Keep an eye out for and obey flaggers.

-Curb the distractions.

-Stay with the flow of traffic.

-Be patient and stay calm.

For nearly 40 years, the lawyers and staff at Associates and Bruce L. Scheiner have dedicated themselves to fighting for the rights of those who have been injured or killed in auto accidents and work-related accidents in Fort Myers, Naples, Cape Coral and in the surrounding areas. We are focused on justice. If you or someone you love has suffered an injury as a result of an accident involving roadway construction, call us at 1-800-DIAL-BLS to set up a free and confidential appointment.

More Blog Entries:

Florida Department of Transportation Urges Extra Caution Near Work Zones, Florida Injury Lawyer Blog, October 5, 2009

Contact Information