The window covering industry started back in 1985 raising awareness of the issue. However, manufacturers never took action to eliminate the risk – as was in their power to do – by scrapping the current model in favor of cordless blinds. Although such products do exist, a recent investigation by ABC News found that retailer employees are not well-educated in informing parents about which blinds are safe for small children.
Although officials with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have for years said they could not outright ban a dangerous product without initiating a lengthy process, they are now initiating just that. The chairman of the agency was quoted by ABC News as saying he wasn’t sure why the industry had failed to take these dangerous products off the market, “Other than greed.” Continue reading ›